12 May 2011

Day 132

Last night we learned about the death of a friend’s 18 year old daughter.  Katie died in a car accident not far from the elementary school.  Her passing means that our community has experienced the death of 3 young girls, aged 14-18.  Two of them died in car accidents and the third died of leukemia.  Needless to say, there has been so much sadness, especially since I knew the girls who died via accidents.  Emilee worked at the cleaning service which was contracted at my office but I only knew her in passing. Katie was the daughter of my friend Kim, who was also a teacher at my kids’ old beloved daycare.

Katie’s death has affected me more than I expected.  Probably because Kim was like a mom to my kids during their daycare days.  The entire daycare staff is a very close-knit pseudo family, so I know how much they are grieving as well.  I can’t imagine how they are coping considering how down I feel.  Kim has been posting on Facebook and admits that she doesn’t know how she will get through this.  That this was never something she expected to have to do.  It brings me to tears and there are really no words to adequately express my feelings.  As a fellow mom, I am simply heartbroken.

If there is any good to be found in this week, it’s that I’ve been hugging my kids even tighter and have been spending as much time with them as possible.  Of course I love them every day, but it’s easy to get wrapped up in business and stress of life.  This week I’ve been trying to slow down and cherish each and every moment, both with my kids and with my husband.  GothGirl and I have been bonding over shopping, dining out, stamping, & Girls on the Run.  Crockett and LilCrockett have been bonding over fishing and baseball.  Life is too short and you never know how much time you’ll have with someone.  So, I’m reminding you to cherish those moments with your loved ones and give them to the gift of your time.


At Girls on the Run today, the girls filled the treat sacks with candy, office supplies (markers, pens, post it note pads, clips, etc.), and granola bars.  They also made a flower pen to put in each bag.  After the bags were filled, we delivered them throughout the school.  All of the teachers were gone for the day, so they would see their surprises first thing in the morning.  Photos taken with my phone.

049_thumb2

053

After our lesson, GothGirl and I took her godmother out to dinner for a belated Mother’s Day celebration.  I had been thinking about getting flowers for her, but decided that spending time together would be much more meaningful as we don’t get together with her that often.  We ended up at Olive Garden and had a delicious meal.  Sadly, I neglected to get a picture of the 2 of them.  By the time we got home, it was too late to take any additional photos with my good camera.  I was OK with that though as time with my daughter and a friend was much more important.


While we were out doing our thing, Crockett and LilCrockett went fishing again and they took our friend Jack along.  They caught lots of fish and came across a momma duck and her ducklings.  Here are some photos that Crockett took on his point and shoot.

031

032

035

039

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...