04 July 2011

Day 184

I missed a post a couple of weeks back.  It happened on a day when I did a double maternity shoot for two of my friends.  Since I had taken so many pictures, it took me longer than normal to edit.  If you’d like to see the photos (which are really the first photos taken with my new 7D), click HERE.

Since today was the 4th of July, there have been quite a few articles about how to shoot fireworks.  I didn’t think I’d have the chance to try any of the techniques because I didn’t plan to go to any firework displays with the rest of the family out of town.  But around 9:30 last night, I heard some booms and walked outside the front door.  We can see several smaller firework displays from our yard at times and one was just about ending.  I tried a few of the techniques, but wasn’t getting very good results especially since I didn’t have time to grab a tripod.  So, I went with another technique…the Bulb setting on my camera.  Under this setting, you dictate how long your shutter stays open by simply by depressing and holding the shutter and then letting off when you want the shutter to close.  With this technique, it’s possible to achieve longer shutter speeds.  I was able to get a couple of half-way decent shots (though the fireworks were fairly far away).  Unfortunately the display was over before I could get really comfortable with this setting.  Note that the lines are squiggly because the camera was hand-held.  Not too bad for a first attempt with only a couple of minutes of shooting time to experiment.

146

142

Hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...