03 January 2011

Day 3

060b
Tonight was family Wii night, so we were all down in the basement getting our game on.  I snapped a bunch of photos but ended up with only a few that were acceptable.  The lighting down there is pretty pathetic.  I knew this going in; but since this is something I struggle with all the time (snapping pictures of the kids indoors at night with no natural light), I decided that I will only get better if I experiment. 

I also wanted to see how my newest lens (the Tamron 28-27mm f/2.8) would perform in these conditions compared to my kit lens (the Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6).  Obviously my Canon 50mm 1.4 would do better in the low light, but I usually don’t have the space to get what I need in the frame.  Note that I was also trying to avoid using my flash.

However, due to the low light and high ISO, my photo was fairly grainy.  Normally I shoot so that each photo is saved as a JPG and a RAW image format.  But, somehow my camera settings were changed so that I was only shooting JPG images.  This eliminated my ability to edit the RAW image, which is definitely easier to edit.  Perhaps my image would have been a little less grainy had it not been compressed in JPG format.  Anyway since I couldn’t fix the graininess (if that’s even possible, I don’t know how to do it), I decided to enhance it a bit by changing the photo to B&W and adding the Texturizer texture effect (click on the photo to see an enlarged version where this is more evident).  The B&W was also nice because the couch was multi-colored and clashed with her shirt.    

So though it’s far from the most technical photo I’ve ever taken, it is one of my favorites.  I love GothGirl’s natural pose and the composition of the photo itself.  I also love that it captures her wild & fun shirt & converse shoes (at least the tops of them).  

Editing: cropping, sharpening, Pioneer Woman B&W Beauty action, texturizer texture
f/2.8
1/30 sec
1600 ISO 
28mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...